Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Last Day of School

Today is the last day of school. As the boys were headed out the door I felt the need to commemorate the moment. Here they are the last time Joshua will be a kindergartner, the last time Weslee will be a 4th grader and the last time Kolby will be a 2nd grader. I have a lot of mixed emotions about all this.

First of all and the most dominate emotion is excitement, I remember how excited I was on the last day of school when I was a kid, about the fact that a promotion and greater power lie in my near future and of course the coming summer months of sleeping in, watching cartoons and hangin' out with my friends. This is such a contagious emotion, despite the fact that we will be spending the next few months breaking up fights and anticipating the I'm bored's that we will be assaulted with, we found ourselves laughing and playing with our little men this morning as they packed their lunches.

Secondly, is a little bit of apprehension. I know full well what the coming 2009-2010 school year holds for me. Not only will my youngest, Bailee, be starting kindergarten, but even scarier my oldest, Weslee, will be starting his last year in elementary school. This time next year he'll be graduating from being a little kid to being a big kid or "tween". I remember how miserable middle school was for me, as do most of you, and I only have one year to prepare him for that. WOW! I just thought of something...next summer he'll be going off to summer camp with the Junior Highers!

God bless Station Camp Elementary they will be completely inundated with Burtnett's! It will be the first and last time all my kids are at the same school.

Despite all this I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with all my peeps this summer. We have some big plans to do a bit of traveling. (Although not as grand as we had originally planned thanks to some financial surprises. Call me if you want details.) We plan to connect with some friends and generally enjoy each other. Ultimately, I am striving to avoid boredom, fighting and losing my mind. I only have until August 3rd to accomplish this so I better get busy!

Have a great summer!

No comments: