Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hilton Head Island, SC

Last summer I was blessed to have an opportunity to visit Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.  I've always heard from friends who frequent this area how beautiful it is so I was excited to see for myself.  Armed with my camera I captured some of the sights and I wasn't disappointed.  

Stayed at the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa a beautiful beach front property.  I spent my days lounging around the pool sipping tropical drinks and strolling the beach and every evening exploring some of the areas fine cuisine.  John insisted I have my first taste of what appeared to be a giant sea loogie, otherwise known as the oyster.  Upon planning the trip he'd threatened me with this possibility. I figured that perhaps I could distract him or perhaps charm my way out of this situation but John is nothing if not persistent and let's just say he's well suited for the job he's currently in (sales). He'd been talking these things up during the weeks prior to our trip.  It took a lot of coaxing and a monumental amount of courage (and perhaps a libation or two if I'm not mistaken) to convince me to try one of the seas most unappealing creatures. I thought that since one of my favorite gems, the pearl, comes from these nasty little things, I ought to at least give em a chance. My opinion... eh... just as I suspected... snot & boogers coated with cocktail sauce. Thanks but no thanks.


John took this shot and for Christmas I had it printed on canvas and gallery wrapped for him 


The view from our table at The Old Oyster Factory



Sea Loogies

Joel Gott Cabernet Sauvignon. Our 'go to' wine ever since. Delicious!

One morning I woke with the sunrise and decided to grab my camera and head for the beach.  This is, after all, the east coast, the sun rises over here.  Unless you're a photographer the idea of crawling out of bed in the wee hours whilst on vacation is probably a horrible idea, but all my photog buddies out there TOTALLY get this.  There is nothing quite like that morning light.  So off I went on my solo adventure on what must have been one of the most humid mornings I've ever experienced.  It probably took my lenses a full 30 minutes to adjust the extreme conditions and stop fogging up.  On one of the shots I just worked with the steam. It turned out to be one of my favorite shots.  Nothing like a little fog to make a shot look mysterious and romantic, dontcha think.....?






At work




Me & a good book and I wouldn't be budging from this spot


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go down to HH every couple of years, i know exactly where that lighthouse is and i assumed you took the sailboat next to a slew of ridiculously lush yachts... it is a beautiful place :)

Sujana said...

Gorgeous photographs! You take amazing pictures

Aly-Rae said...

Thank you ladies! Love having an opportunity to shoot some 'personal' stuff once and a while.