Thursday, July 17, 2008

Happy 9th Birthday Weslee Cole!





On July 17, 1999 my life as I knew it changed forever. At 9:45 am, after 10 hours of labor, my son was placed in my arms. We were in love! At 7lbs and 1 ounce never could we have prepared ourselves for the emotions that rushed through us the first time he opened his eyes and looked right into ours. How could something so tiny rock your world so hard? Steve and I were in awe. Isn't awe one of the most incredible emotions? We spent countless hours staring at that tiny little thing with his giant eyes and bald head. I have the home movies to prove it. With pure elation and pride we toted car seats and diaper bags and proudly wore infant carriers and burp cloths.


I look back now and laugh at those times. I can remember feeling overwhelmed at times and other times I thought I had it all figured out. Little did I know what God had in store for me...


Since that time we've added a few more to our quiver but those subsequent birthing experiences didn't quite compare to that first time. Through Weslee, God has taught us countless lessons of faith as we rushed out little man to the ER in the middle of the night. Wisdom when we couldn't soothe his crying. Patience after we told him a thousand time to stop throwing his toys at the TV. If anything we've learned to pray without ceasing. That, after all, is one of the job requirements of parenting. The thing I'm so thankful for are the memories. I remember sitting around the dinner table when I was a kid and listening to my brothers tell horror stories of how they swung from the chandeliers and landed in the giant bowl of potato salad in their Sunday clothes. We laughed and laughed. I'm thankful that I can look back on some of those disastrous moments we've had and laugh about them, even though at the time the humor of the situation may have escaped me.



Being Weslee's Mom is a blessing I never could've imagined. God knew I'd need help after his siblings arrived and Weslee has always been there for me. He's changed diapers, applied band aids, done dishes since he was 2 (I also have video to prove this) and was always my informant. He adores his brother's and sister and loves to go paint with his Dad. He loves football and rollerblading and is a straight A student with very little effort. He's sticking to his original career goals of Marine Biologist. He's completely fascinated with sea life, especially sharks. He wants to get his SCUBA certification as soon as possible so he can begin his research. He has a soft spot for the underdog and he's willing to risk life and limb for the chance to crack up his baby sister.

Thanks Weslee for blessing us these last 9 years! Your future is bright buddy, we look forward to the next 9 years.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.

3 comments:

...wylie love... said...

make me cry...i loved this little baby so much. I had that picture of him in the bath in a frame in my room for years! i can not believe he is 9. That means i was 14 years old when i was taking care of you pregnant! mmm beer dough pizza and chocolate cake!

Sharleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharleen said...

Happy 9th Birthday, Weslee! Ask your Mommy and Daddy to plan a trip out to see us soon! We miss you guys! Love you, Buddy!

Auntie Sharleen
P.S. Your baby cousin, Braden, is turning ONE next Saturday! Wish you guys were here to celebrate with us.