Thursday, April 17, 2008

Walgreen's Wisdom


Today I checked in on Bro. David's Blog. Now that March madness is over I figured it was safe again. (Basketball lingo confuses me) Anyway, I ran into this post and it struck a nerve. Just what I needed to hear. With my life being so busy lately I don't want to lose touch with all of you so expect a phone call from me here soon. I love you all!


Recommendation....I love Bro. David's "Monday Random thoughts" not to be missed. I suggest clicking on his link in my shout out's every Tuesday if you need a little chuckle.


Lessons Learned at Walgreens
In Spiritual Growth, Thoughts at 1:24pm
A while back I was in Walgreens. I was just stopping in to grab two things, so I didn’t get a basket. However, as I was getting my two things, I happened to see other things that I could not live without. Jennifer also saw some things she needed, and before I knew it, my hands and arms were full. Can you identify with me on this?
So I make it to the check out line, which had to be the longest in the history of Walgreens. You guessed it – they only had one register open.
While I’m waiting, I’m shifting the load to relieve muscle spasms. Twice I almost yelled, “open another register you idiots! Haven’t you heard of customer service!” I didn’t, but I considered it.
I got the “positive thinking” thing going, telling myself, “I can make it!” One more load shift, and I’m good. Then the unthinkable happened. The bottle of pink finger nail polish that my dear wife needed slipped through the place between your bicep and forearm where you can hold stuff when you bend your elbow, and it fell to the floor. I watched it fall for what seemed like an eternity until it finally collided with the floor, and there was the most brilliant pink explosion!
Very embarrassing! Very frustrating! Very messy! Here I was tempted to yell, “clean up on aisle 2!!”, but instead tried to play it cool, hoping no one would notice. “It’s just BRIGHT pink goo splattered everywhere with broken shards of glass sticking up waiting for a pre-schooler to step on,” I said to myself. No one will notice. It was then that my good citizen training kicked in, and I sheepishly went to the counter and reported my transgression. The teenager at the counter was very kind and gentle with me, and for that I was grateful. It just wasn’t a good day for me at Walgreen’s. I was so frustrated that I’m not sure I even got the two things I ran in there for.
Life is not only like a box of chocolates, but also like my experience at Walgreens. Sometimes we get too much stuff in our hands. More stuff going on than we can manage. If we do that, inevitably something will fall – most often the relational pieces of our lives. When we are too over-scheduled, too busy, have too much stuff we are trying to juggle, we skim relationally. We let relationships fall by the wayside, especially our walk with God. This impacts everything else we attempt to do.
Jesus said in Matthew 6:33, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Always start with God. You can’t do everything and still take care of the main thing, which is to walk closely with the God of the universe. Out of this walk comes wisdom to live a reasonably balanced life.
And next time you go to Walgreens – get a basket!

No comments: